- Author: Graham Mitchell
- Filename: EscapeSequenceChallenge.java
Escape Sequence Challenge
You should probably skip this assignment. It is
more trouble than it is worth.
Using regular letters and escape sequences, write
a program to display the following on the screen:
JJJJJ | ______ __ __ ______
JJ | / \ / \ / |/ \
__ JJ | aaaaaa |"" \ /""/ aaaaaa |
/ | JJ | / aa | "" /""/ / aa |
JJ \__JJ |/aaaaaaa | "" ""/ /aaaaaaa |
JJ JJ/ aa aa | """/ aa aa |
JJJJJJ/ aaaaaaa/ "/ aaaaaaa/
Common Student Questions
- Does my output have to look exactly like yours?
- Yes. That's why it is a challenge.
- How many spaces are at the beginning of each line?
- The bottom parts use a single "tab" escape sequence to move things
over. The upper parts use a single tab followed by enough spaces to
make things line up.
- How did you create this?
- I started by using FIGlet, which is "a program for making large letters
out of ordinary text." (FIGlet is very old; I remember using it in
college.) For this assignment, the font I used was called "Big Money",
and generated it using a "southwest" orientation. Then I manually made
some changes to make it a little tougher.
©2013–2015 Graham Mitchell
This assignment is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.