- Author: Graham Mitchell
- Filename: NumberPuzzles4.java
Number Puzzles IV: A New Hope
for loops to find four positive integers
whose sum is 45, and such that the first plus 2, the second minus 2, the
third multiplied by 2, and the fourth divided by 2 are all equal.
For those of you having trouble with the English on this one (I've
noticed that students really don't like word problems), here's what
- The output of your program should be four numbers. They
won't be negative numbers.
- When you add the four numbers, they add up to 45.
- If you add 2 to the first number, you get the same answer as
if you had subtracted 2 from the second number.
- If you multiply the third number by two, you also get the same
- If you divide the fourth number by two, you also get the same
The following mathematical statements are also true about these numbers:
A + 2 = B - 2 = C × 2 = D ÷ 2
- I think my code is right, but it doesn't print out anything.
- Your loops are probably only letting each number get up to 9.
So you are only testing numbers from 0, 0, 0, 0 up to 9, 9, 9, 9, which
isn't far enough. (9+9+9+9 is only 36, so they need to able to get bigger
if they're going to add up to 45.)
©2013–2016 Graham Mitchell
This assignment is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.